Every day, Imagine Communications is delivering billions of media moments all over the world — anywhere, anytime and on any device. Imagine Communications delivers innovative, end-to-end media software and networking solutions to over 3,000 customers in more than 185 countries, including the top broadcast facilities and the most technologically advanced sports and live-event venues.
The successful applicant will have a good grounding in any of the following databases: Oracle, Ingres or SQL Server and be willing to cross-train as necessary AND/OR a good grounding in Unix/Linux.
The work will involve ensuring that database changes are rolled out to internal databases, packaging and installing releases to clients, monitoring and maintaining database installations, writing batch scripts to support the work and providing 2nd-line support for technical issues. Additionally the work involves installing new customer environments, including installing and configuring the RDBMS, databases, company software and DR.
The applicant will work closely with Software Engineering and Systems Administrators. They will join a rota to provide 24/7 support for clients.
• Provide technical expertise in the areas of database administration, application deployments and upgrades both on internal and external client installations.
• Test and prepare implementation of database software upgrades and patch releases for customers.
• Create and make available databases for Support, Development and Test.
• Manage standard DBA tasks, including securing databases, managing space, monitoring performance, installing patches.
• Provide 24/7 on-call support as part of a rota.
• Maintain documentation of new or amended procedures
• Conduct Technical Surveys and contribute to strategic planning.
• Ensure all working practices comply with Health and Safety legislation.
Product Line Managers, Account, Business & Project Managers, Support Manager, Software Engineering Managers, QA Team Leads and members of the Implementation Services teams.
It is essential to work effectively with clients’ Senior Management and Technical IT staff; to comply with their procedures and to be adaptable in order to meet their operational requirements.
EXPERIENCE / ACHIEVEMENTS
• experience of at least one of these relational databases: Ingres, Oracle and SQL Server:
The applicant will be able write and run basic sql to interrogate and update a database without using an sql builder tool.
The applicant will be comfortable navigating in unix and be able to run basic commands on the command line to list files/directories, understand permissions, search for processes. Experience in the vi editor and/or writing batch scripts is desirable.
• Microsoft Windows.
• Database administration experience
• Experience of applying Critical Patch updates to databases and applications in production environments.
• Commercial experience of software deployments and installations.
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE
• Analytical ability to investigate, using appropriate tools, database failures, error log entries and other problem indications and to propose and implement solutions
• Effectively communicate issues to others with less detailed database knowledge such that problems can be explained to clients
• Work under pressure and remain calm and objective when dealing with problems whilst having due regard for the urgency of situations where issues are impacting operational service levels
• Professional client facing skills and the ability to plan and prioritise workload and complete documentation
• Available to work out of standard business hours and as part of an emergency on call rota when required.
• Undertake occasional travel as required.
• Take decisions on actions required within the bounds of responsibility and to escalate problems as necessary to management
• Good working knowledge of MS Office products and their application.
EDUCATION / TRAINING / QUALIFICATIONS
• BSc in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics
• Professional Database Certification or other advanced technical qualification